- Category selection menu was popping up automatically for single click time tracking even if the window was behind other applications.
- Report buttons remained disabled if a report group title was selected.
- Updated default database to latest version so that automatic upgrade is not required on first use.
- Increase the permitted difference between the client and server system time when synchronizing offline changes.
- Starting Complete Time Tracking and entering the server and username details
can now be automated using URL links in the following format:cttp://server/login[?u=username]
These URL’s can be created as clickable
hyperlinks in documents and HTML formatted emails, entered in the Start, Run
command box or the address bar in Windows Explorer and most browsers. The server
URL is displayed when the Server software is installed and in the Server Manager
tool to allow it to be easily copied and distributed to users.
- Optional single click time tracking. Popup category selection menu on the
main tracking window automatically appears when the mouse cursor is positioned
over the category links.
- Increased database performance through improved index statistics.
- Configurable support logging.
- Upgrade of existing offline database caused unnecessary changes in
- Allow program continuation if unexpected errors are encountered during
offline time entry synchronization.
- Fixed subtotals in the Details by Category report.
- Better error handling when entering invalid values in the time entries list
on the Edit Time Entries screen.
- Workaround for the problem with the default Windows regional settings such
as the date and currency format starting with Windows Vista.
- Project management with time estimate, quote / charge estimate, set budget,
and target and actual completion dates.
- New reports: Project Status, Project Risk (over budget, quote or time vs.
progress). Only categories marked with “Report project status” will be included
in the reports.
- Users, categories and time entries may now be tagged with one or more
free-form text tags. This allows a kind of categorization or grouping and can be
used as a search filter in reports and the Edit Time Entries window. For example
users can be tagged by job function, location or employment type. Categories can
be tagged by priority, team, system or task type (such as “phone” or “meeting”)
as a kind of cross-categorization. Time entries can be tagged by status or any
other number of specific types.
- Added search to the Edit Time Entries window. The search can be performed by
date range, category, user, time entry notes, or by user, category or time entry
tags (include or exclude).
- Reports can now be filtered by time entry notes, or by user, category or time
entry tags (include or exclude).
- New reports: Summary by User Tag, Detail by User Tag
- Multi-select users in Edit Time Entries window and reports.
- New Database Script data export tool that can be used to extract data from
the database directly using SQL like script commands or perform routine
maintenance such as purge old audit trail records. The tool is command line or
configuration file driven and can be run as a scheduled task. A configuration
editor is also provided.
- Database scripts can be run from the Server
- Database users for external reporting and data export can now
be maintained from the Server Manager tool.
- Time entries can now be
automatically locked after a given number of days or prior to a specified date.
A new security action has been added to allow specific users to override the
- The user’s password can be remembered to avoid the need to enter it
each time when logging in. When set the user is automatically logged in. This
makes the Professional edition easier to use when there is only one user (single
- Custom time entry rounding up, down or nearest number of minutes
or hours. e.g. Round up to 15 minute or 0.1 hour intervals.
- New reports:
Summary by Category Tag, Detail by Category Tag
- New reports: Summary by
Time Entry Tag, Detail by Time Entry Tag
- Option to automatically split time
entries across midnight making it easy to apportion the time to the correct date
- The previously selected category can now be easily re-selected
on the main tracking window making it easy to temporarily switch to a different
category and back to the original.
- New categories can be added from the
category selection menus on the main window and idle time prompt window.
- Added two user defined fields to users. The name of the fields
- Added two external reference fields to categories to
assist with integration with other systems when exporting data or using direct
- Added an external reference field to users to assist with
integration with other systems when exporting data or using direct database
- Added several text formatting and mathematical functions to the
database for use in direct database access reports and data export.
- Pre-fill database name “default” when creating the first database in the Server
- Display the login server text when setting database name in the
- Allow database server start/stop in the Server Manager when
there are no databases.
- Allow all users to run database queries in the
debugging tool when working offline.
- Improved load speed of the User
Configuration window when there are a large number of users.
- The selected
user in User Configuration and selected users in Edit Time Entries and Reports
are now remembered.
- Several selections and configuration options are now
stored separately for each database making working with mutliple databases
- New Configure System Options security action to allow users other
than the System Administrator to configure system options.
- Cost amounts can
now be shown on several summary reports and included in most summary and detail
report data exports.
- New Run Database Scripts security action to allow
users other than the System Administrator to run database scripts in the
debugging window (under the direction of Complete Time Tracking support staff).
- Individual database files not created from a backup can be restored using a
special restore mode in the Server Manager tool and the database name and ID can
- The database ID for selected database in Server Manager can
be copied to the clipboard.
- The database version is now stored with audit
trail data to help with backwards compatibility.
- Added “All” date range to
- Time entry notes can now be optionally included in all detail
- Sub-categories can now be optionally displayed in separate columns
in the report view and data export.
- Added two user defined fields to
categories. The name of the fields is customizable.
- Greatly improved the
speed when expanding categories in the category tree on the Category
Configuration, Edit Time Entries and Reports windows.
- Greatly improved the
speed of reports for customers with a large number of categories greater than
three levels deep.
- Improved the speed of all data loading and saving.
- Improved the speed of database upgrades from version 2 to version 3.
popup hint for the top category on the main tracking window displays all parent
categories. This is useful when selecting deeply nested categories to see which
higher level parent categories are selected.
- If the timer is active and the
control key is held when a category is selected on the main tracking window a
time entry is not created. The category is simply changed to the new category
and the timer is not interrupted. This is useful to change an incorrectly
- Allow a manually rounded duration of zero to “cancel
out” time entries.
- The time entry details can now be edited from the idle
time prompt window.
- The date can now be specified when manually entering
the time to start or end the time entry on the idle time prompt window.
main tracking window can be made partially transparent.
- Show the currency
next to hourly rate fields.
- Changes to the category charge rate take effect
immediately if that category is currently selected.
- Changes to the user
charge and cost rate take effect immediately.
- Changes to the charge rate
source take effect immediately.
- All text fields now have a right-click text
- Several minor usability improvements.
- When a
new user was created but the creation was canceled an attempt was made to save
the users security actions.
- Only allow users to modify the start/end time
in the idle time prompt window if the Modify Automatic Time Entry Start Time
security action is set.
- Fixed synchronization in offline time tracking when
a new parent category is created offline, a new sub-category for it is created
offline and then the new parent category is updated.
- Improved detection of
changes in the time entry list in the Edit Time Entries window.
retention of percent complete of categories when time entries are added or
modified from the Edit Time Entries window.
- Use rounded durations in Full
- Change durations displayed in Edit Time Entries window to
match the rounding used in reports.
- Fix showing of gaps in Edit Time
Entries when two time entries have the same start time.
- When sorting
categories by code a secondary sort is done by description to correctly sort
them when the codes are indentical or blank.
- Fixed focus controls for
- Fixed mouse cursor for duration current/today on main
- Fix inability to select time entries on the Edit Time Entry window
when only edited time entries are displayed.
- Display the program version number on the login window.
- Fixed synchronization in offline time tracking when a
category is created offline and there are sub-categories or
time entries for it.
- When offline the incorrect “last notes” for the selected
category were retrieved if there were offline time entries
added for the category.
- Improved compatibility of Client software running under Wine
- Use the separate Server Manager tool instead of the in-built
server status window on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.
- Order the categories by description instead of by code when
category codes are not used, even if “by code” is selected
in the program options.
- Disable skinning (themes) on Windows 7 and Windows Server
- Resolve growing memory usage when workstation was locked or
screensaver was active.
- Detect program running when installing an upgrade.
- Save server name for offline database when work offline
selected to fix offline<->server mapping and allow direct
- Resolve issue when synchronizing offline database when
a time entry was moved from one user to another.
- Correctly position “Pro” text on login window when windows
are scaled on high-resolution displays.
- Improved install, uninstall and trial reminder window for
- Improved speed of offline change synchronization when
a large number of new categories or time entries were
- Current time not positioned correctly in the Edit Recorded
Time window when it was resized.
- Don’t use user interface skinning (styles) when running in
a terminal services environment to avoid a problem where
the category selection popup menu is sometimes blank.
- Don’t allow orphaned categories or time entries added or
updated but parent category or user has been deleted.
- Very long category descriptions could cause an error in
some “by category” reports.
- Previous synchronization history is now stored correctly
to fix an issue where some changes on the server were
attempted to be re-applied to the offline database.
- Perform an automatic synchronize when online and Work offline
- If the duration column in the time entry list in the Edit
Recorded Time window was double-clicked and the time entry
modified then an error report was shown when the changes were
- Fixed the conditions under which an error notification
is displayed when synchronizing offline changes and
more than 500 changes had occurred on the server since
the last sync.
- Added shortcut keys to the start, end and duration fields on
the main window in manual time tracking mode.
- Don’t select the end time field on the main window when a time
entry is added and the display mode is set to hide at the edge
of the screen as this prevents the window from auto hiding.
- Improved interactive quick start tutorial to behave differently
depending on which time tracking mode (auto or manual) is
selected and which display mode is selected.
- Category description was missing from the idle time prompt
window if the selected category was at a higher level
in the category hierarchy.
- Accented characters in category descriptions were not
encoded correctly when a category was copied or imported or
created from a template.
- Category descriptions containing the ampersand character ‘&’
would show as a double ampersand && in the category tree.
- Don’t automatically select a category with first letter ‘c’
if alt-c pressed on the main window to display the popup
category selection menu.
- Widen charge amount column in reports and allow to line-wrap
if too wide to handle wide currency prefixes such as SFr.
- Fix program crash on export of the ALL category.
- If the category for a time entry was changed then the time
entry would appear if either category was selected. A program
error would result if the time entry for the original
category was then modified and the changes saved.
- Time entries for visible categories with hidden parent
categories would appear in the Edit Recorded Time list.
- Solved flickering current time displayed on the main window,
Edit Recorded Time window and Idle Time Prompt window on
- A program error would occur when saving changes if in the
same editing session a template category was added, a
category created from the template and the template category
- Display the login window instead of closing the application
if log off is forced (programmatically under some conditions).
- Last step of interactive quickstart tutorial was not showing
when display mode was to hide at the edge of the screen or
hide to system tray.
- A program error would occur during the interactive
tutorial if the user did not have access to the
category configuration window.
- On first install copy the existing version 2 program
options if present.
- Save correct program options on first run.
- Fixed validation of idle time inactivity minutes setting
when prompt for idle time option selected.
- Popup hints would sometimes cause a program error when
displayed if the Windows monitor configuration was
changed, such as when adding or removing monitors,
rotating monitors, or using remote screen sharing
- Remove debugging messages which appear on some computers.
- Built with latest software protection to resolve an issue
which occurs in some heavily access controlled computers.
- Stop version 2 database server to copy and upgrade
existing database on installation to ensure that the
database copied is valid.
- Added a Check For Updates option to the Help menu.
- Configurable HTTP proxy server options for the update check and send feedback features.
- A program crash on Windows Vista when a sleep-resume
is performed has been corrected.
- When changing categories with the automatic timer
running the previous time entry was recorded against
the newly selected category.
- Internet connectivity problems no longer cause the
error report window to be displayed when an update
- Reports that were failing when the Windows regional
setting for the decimal separator is not ‘.’ have been
- When docking and hiding the main time tracking window
off the edge of the screen and the Windows desktop was
reconfigured, such as after a suspend/resume cycle,
screen resolution change or Windows taskbar dock
change, Windows moves the main tracking window fully
on screen. If the mouse pointer was positioned where
the window was moved to then often the window would
move away from the screen edge to be no longer docked.
The window should now auto-hide again.
- The To email address and email subject for error
reports are now set to the correct values.
- Backup, restore and stop server functions can now be
performed when there are no databases.
- Several minor fixes.
- New offline time tracking capability for mobile and
remote users. When offline users can add categories
and add, modify and delete their own time entries.
When a connection to the central database is available
the user can synchronize the changes made (two-way
synchronization) and work online again.
- Idle time prompt. When the computer has been idle for
the configured duration a window can be optionally
displayed to ask what you would like to do with the
idle time (add it to the time entry, leave a gap, or
allocate the time to a new time entry).
- Added category templates. This allows you to define
common category structures that can be re-used multiple
times. When you add a new category to a template you
can optionally add it to all instance categories based
on the template.
- Added the ability to export categories and their sub-categories to file. The export file can be imported
at a later date to create a copy of the categories or
copied or emailed to permanently offline users to
create an identical category structure to that used
in the central office.
- Categories can now be moved and copied using the Cut,
Copy and Paste operations in the Category Configuration
- Charge rates can now be user (staff) based as an
alternative to the existing category (client/project)
based charge rates.
- New cost hourly rate for users tracks staff costs.
- Multiple databases are now supported. They can be
created and named using the Server Manager
application. This allows separate user groups, such
as departments or teams, have totally separate
categories and time entries.
- A complete history of changes to users and their
security actions, categories and time entries can be
recorded. This can facilitate integration with other
applications as well as serve as an audit log.
- Added a choice of display modes: a) Hide to screen edge. This is the equivalent of the
previous behavior, b) Hide to system tray. When the main window is closed
it disappears and can be shown again by clicking the
icon in the Windows taskbar system tray. A taskbar
button is present only when the window is shown, c) Normal application. A taskbar button is present at
all times. The system tray icon is optional.
- New script-driven database tool to allow automated
export or maintenance of data. This will be available
as a separate download.
- New data import tool to allow import of categories and
time entries from XML, CSV and TAB-delimited files.
This will be available as a separate download.
- Fresh and more modern looking logo and other graphics.
- The entire data framework of the application has been re-written to provide for more flexible access and storage
to the database (necessary for several new features and
enhancements in this release), export and copy/paste
capabilities, and to facilitate future enhancements.
This hidden enhancement also improves maintenance which
will translate to general improvements in support and
- Added an option to auto-group long category lists for
the popup category selection menu on the main window.
Categories are grouped by description or code.
- Allow right-click to select categories on the main
- Durations and amounts in reports and data export files
are rounded to match the displayed values. This ensures
that amounts totals now show what you would expect if
you calculated them based on the displayed values.
For example, previously a duration of 12.016 hours and
hourly rate of 100 would be displayed as duration 12.02
hours and amount 1201.60 which don’t match. This is now
displayed as 12.02 hours and 1202.00.
- Improved report preview with page thumbnails and search
- Formatted reports can now be saved in PDF, HTML, Rich
Text (RTF), Plain text (TXT), Excel Spreadsheet (XLS)
and Enhanced Metafile (EMF) formats from the save button
on the report preview window. This allows formatted
reports to be saved, emailed, or incorporated into other
reports or documents.
- The full details report now displays long category
names over multiple lines.
- Further improved the performance of reports by
approximately 4 times.
- Added a menu item to the Help menu to browse to the
product web site.
- Moved items on the Purchase menu to the Help menu.
- Removed buttons for program options and help from the
- Some minor customization/branding of the window titles
can be done by providing a separate settings file with
the installation program.
- The registration name and key can now be automatically
entered by providing a separate settings file with the
- Improved the speed of category selection in the category
hierarchy displayed in Configure Categories, Edit
Recorded Time and Reports windows.
- Always allow the time designators AM/PM and A/P
(case insensitive) regardless of the system regional
- Check if changes have been made and prompt to cancel
changes when the ‘x’ icon is used to close various
- Large volume licenses can now be accommodated without
the need to use several registration keys.
- The total charge, total cost and profit/loss for the
displayed time entries is shown in the Edit Recorded
- Two read-only users have been added to the underlying
database to provide reporting access from external
products (using ODBC, ADO.NET or JDBC). One user has
restricted access without the ability to report on
charge or cost rates or amounts and the other user
has full read-only access.
- Three low-level database views have been added to
provide simple access to users, categories and time
entries, and two low-level stored procedures have
also been added to provide simple access to the
category hierarchy. These provide additional support
for customers who use their own reporting tools.
- A database security utility is installed with the
server software. This facilitates changing the
passwords of the read-only users.
- Added a new security action to control the ability
to modify the automatic time entry start time on
the main window. It is enabled by default.
- The central database server TCP port can now be
configured using the Server Manager application.
- The location of the central database file is now
shown in the Server Manager application and can
be copied to the clipboard or Windows Explorer
opened to its location.
- Added a notes field to users which can be viewed
and edited in the add/modify user window.
- The date and time that users, categories and time
entries are created and last updated are recorded
and displayed in the various edit windows along
with the user that created and updated them.
- You can now optionally choose not to maintain
permanent connections to the database. This is
useful where network connectivity is intermittent or
server and network resources are low. This option
can be set system wide and a new security action
controls whether individual users can override
- On first run on the server computer a popup hint on
the login window shows the default administrator
- Several minor enhancements.
- Only create popup category selection menu items as
required. This improves speed and memory use and
avoids potential freezes when there are more than about
- Set the percent complete on the main window to zero if
a category is selected that has no time recorded to it.
- Use the current time as the default start time for the
first manual time entry of the day if earlier than the
configured day start time.
- If the % Complete value for a time entry in the grid in
the edit recorded time window is deleted then it is
interpreted as zero instead of producing an error report.
- When categories are sorted by category code sometimes
the order of items in reports could be out of order
where the category code was the same for more than one
category. This is now fixed.
- Improved compatibility with Windows Vista including DEP
(Data Execution Prevention), taskbar window preview,
and application switching.
- Don’t allow negative time entries to be recorded due to
changing the system clock backwards.
- Only display the idle time tracking options if the
user has access to automatic time recording.
- Several minor fixes.
- The client software can now be run on Linux under
Wine. Tested on Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 with Wine 0.9.49.
It can connect to the Server software installed on
a Windows computer. See the help or user manual
for more information.
- Improved the performance of “by category” reports by
approximately 5 times.
- Now uses native report export to Excel format which
does not require Excel to be installed on the computer,
is much faster and also includes cell formatting.
- Added the ability to execute database management
statements to the debug database script window.
- Added “copy to clipboard” and “open folder” options to
the database location in the debug window.
- Date shown in Summary by Date and User report was
being truncated in some cases.
- If a user had selected a report and later their
security access was changed to disallow access to
the report it was still possible to run that
report by not changing the report selection after
the next login.
- After logging off if any dialog was displayed such
as connect error or invalid password then the
login window was closed.
- The taskbar button is now shown after logging off.
- Wrap long database location displayed in debug window.
- Don’t prompt to close when Windows is shutting down.
- Current/Today duration mode switching on main tracking
window is working again.
- Show all lines of multi-line notes in the report
Data View and include them in all export formats.
- Greatly improved performance when loading the category list. The category list is loaded when the program is started, when entering and exiting the category configuration window, when entering the edit recorded time window and changing selections, and when entering the reports window. Running reports is still slow on systems with a large number of categories as it uses a different technique and will be addressed in a later release.
- New debugging feature to display the database
- New debugging feature to allow an error report to
be generated on demand to retrieve system
- New debugging feature to allow SQL statements to be
entered to query and update the database.
- New server details tool installed in the server
software which shows the server name and IP
addresses and default admin login details. It is
run when installing the server software and can be
run from the Start menu.
- Display the logged in user on the About window.
- Code-signed all executables.
- Added rebranding support for Resellers.
- Several minor changes.
- Display ‘&’ character in category name and
registration name correctly.
- Removed an error generated when leaving empty values
during inline editing of recorded time entries.
- Allow the server software to be installed over an
existing installation when upgrading.
- Don’t allow the administrator user security actions
to be changed.
- The title displayed on preview and printed reports is now configurable.
- The report type can now be optionally displayed on preview and printed reports.
- The amount earned is now displayed and updated when in manual time tracking mode and a valid start time is entered and the end time is set to ‘now’.
- Allow more flexibility in specifying times and dates. Added the characters – , and ; as valid hour, minute and second time separators (in addition to the existing characters . : and the current Windows region time separator setting). Added the characters . , – / and \ as valid day, month and year date separators (in addition to the current Windows region date separator setting).
- Added an option to allow auto-resuming of automatic time recording on the current category when the computer becomes active after an inactivity timeout.
- The server name connected to is displayed in the
programs About dialog.
- Gaps from the end of the last recorded time entry to the start of the currently recording time entry are now highlighted in the Edit Recorded Time window.
- Display the example duration formats in the program options using the regional settings for the decimal and time separators.
- Allow times to be entered when the regional settings for the AM/PM symbols contain ‘.’ characters such as New Zealand where the symbols are “a.m.” and “p.m.”
- Expanded time display fields in windows and reports to accommodate longer time formats used in some regions.
- A disabled timer whilst the main window was hidden off-screen meant that the duration displayed in the system tray icon hint was not being updated and automatic time recording was not stopping when the configurable idle time was exceeded.
- Adjustments of the size and position of columns in reports to accommodate large earnings amounts.
- Adjusted size of report pages to print better on both A4 and US Letter paper.
- The calendar controls used on the reports window were changing the date range quick selection to Custom if the window was left open for several minutes.
- The total duration for the current day and the adjust start time option to use the previous time entry end time were not being updated when time was manually added.
- The Notes field displayed in the Full Details report was being truncated.
- Improved display of long fields such as category names and user names in the preview and printed reports.
- If the server could not be found when logging in the
error message could display the server name of the
server last successfully connected to.
- Stop automatic time recording when the system has been idle for a period of time. On Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista computers this can be configured as a number of minutes. On Windows 98 and ME computers the time recording stops when the screen saver is activated.
- Gaps between time entries and overlapping time entries can be optionally highlighted in the Edit Recorded Time window when the ALL category is selected. Small gaps and overlaps can be ignored by specifying the duration to ignore. Gaps can be allocated to a new time entry or an existing adjacent time entry. Time entries can be trimmed to remove the overlap.
- Optional skinned user interface (enabled by default) with 13 selectable skins. This feature is not currently enabled on Windows Vista.
- Several changes to support Windows Vista.
- The date to display recorded time for can now be entered directly in the Edit Recorded Time window.
- Warn if the ALL category is selected when saving changes in the Edit Time Entry window.
- Changed time entry in the “Adjust start time” and “Edit Recorded Time Entry” windows to free-format text to make them easier to use.
- The text “now” can be entered where a time is required, such as in manual time entry on the main window or in the Edit Time Entry window.
- When adding a new time entry using the Edit Recorded Time window and currently recording time then default the end time of the new entry to the start time of the currently recording time (ie. Fill the gap).
- When adding a new time entry using the Edit Recorded Time window and not currently recording time then the end time is set to “now”. It was previously set to the explicit current time that the Add button was clicked which could be some seconds or minutes before the time entry is added.
- The first time entry start time and last time entry end time are displayed in bold text to make them easier to identify visually.
- The time details category percent complete is now always retrieved when a category is selected on the main window. The program option to retrieve time details now only applies to the time details notes.
- Added a new option to automatically clear the time details notes when time is recorded on the main window (select Stop or select a different category when automatically recording time, or select Add Time in manual time tracking mode).
- Added two new options in the “Adjust start time” window (when you click the “Started” link on the main window when time is recording): 1) use the current time, 2) use the end of the previous time entry on the current date.
- The total amount earned for the current day is now displayed on the main window when “Today” is selected in the automatic time recording details.
- The start time in the manual time entry mode is now automatically set to the end time of an automatic recorded time entry, making it easy to fill in additional time manually later.
- The end time in the manual time entry mode is now automatically set to “now” as the most common usage of manual time entry is to record the time just worked. This can be disabled in the program options.
- When a valid time is entered as the manual start time and “now” is entered as the manual end time on the main window the duration is displayed and updated above the manual duration entry. The manual duration entry is set to empty.
- The text in the start time, end time and duration in the manual time entry section on the main window are now automatically selected when the field is first clicked in to allow easier replacement by simply clicking and typing.
- When starting the program the start time in the manual time entry on the main window is now automatically set to the end time of the last time recorded on the current day.
- Added Start/Stop Recording/Add Time menu item.
- Swapped position of category selection and user selection in reports window as the category tree needs to be much wider than the user list.
- The selected category and date range can now be optionally displayed on preview and printed reports.
- Changed the wording in some information messages to make them easier to understand.
- User interface is now Windows XP theme compliant.
- New icon theme used for buttons and menu items.
- The system tray icon is now animated when recording time.
- The system tray icon popup hint now displays the name of the selected category, start time and duration.
- Added icons to popup system tray icon menu.
- Added “Center on Screen” and “About” menu items to the popup system tray icon menu.
- Improvements to trap Windows shutdown notification and stop automatic time recording.
- The Windows system locale First Day Of Week setting is now used instead of Monday to set the default “first day of the week” option.
- The license name is now displayed on the toolbar and full license information is displayed in the Help, About window.
- The error reporting system now uses a wizard style to provide the user with more control over the information sent and make it easier to comment on the problem.
- New uninstall feedback application to replace the online feedback form. This is less intrusive than opening a browser window.
- The start/stop recording button on the main window is now disabled when the window is hidden off-screen to avoid unwanted start/stop if the Enter/Return key is pressed whilst the window is the active Windows program and hidden.
- Improved ability for main window to appear on top of all other windows when it appears from the edge of the screen.
- Group category selection is now enabled by default.
- Only show tooltip hints in the Edit Recorded Time time entries grid for the category and notes columns.
- Changed the font used throughout the program to Tahoma to resolve a problem with the Arial font previously used where if the first letter of text is ‘W’ then it is sometimes not displayed or only partially displayed.
- Improved format and information on trial reminder and trial expired windows.
- Added an application icon to the database delete utility.
- Only enable the Delete button in the database delete utility if a database is selected.
- Several minor improvements to the user interface.
- Expanded detail in some sections of the help file and user manual.
- The selected user can now be optionally displayed on preview and printed reports.
- Changed the color of the disabled user security actions in the Configure Users window to make them easier to read.
- Improved the ability to keep the main window visible at all times which helps in locating it when hidden at the edge of the screen.
- When installing the server software the desktop and quick launch icons are now installed for all users, not just the current user.
- The installation program and all executable programs installed are now digitally signed. This validates that the programs have not been tampered with and improves the warning messages that Windows presents when running downloaded programs and that Firewall programs present when programs access the network.
- Fixed a category ordering problem which under some circumstances would cause problems in the weekly timesheet report and some categories in any “by category” report to be repeated.
- Replaced calendar controls to avoid a complex bug in the display of the original controls used.
- A program error was generated if whilst editing in the Edit Recorded Time window recorded time grid the category tree was clicked.
- Do not allow multiple reports to be previewed at the same time. This was causing problems as the report system was not designed for parallel report preview.
- Expanded amount earned column in reports to cater for wide currency formatting.
- Ensure that there is absolutely no unrecorded time when recording and switching tasks on slow computers or when the system is very busy.
- Do not allow a group category to be selected in the edit time entry window of edit recorded time if either the user does not have security access to record to group categories (Pro) or the users program options are set to not allow recording to group categories, except if editing a previously recorded time entry recorded to a group category and the category is not changed.
- In some cases the total duration displayed in the Report View window was truncated to be less than 24 hours.
- If a sub-category was moved to a new category group and the old group category was deleted then the moved category was also being deleted.
- Remove input focus from the Notes and % Complete items in the time details on the main window when hiding the time details section to allow the window to auto-hide.
- In the reports window if an end date was manually typed in then in some cases the start date was being set incorrectly. This was caused by a partially entered date such as 01/01/0 (typing 01/01/06) to be interpreted as 01/01/2000.
- Fix for very long category names which were causing an error in the weekly timesheet report.
- Check that a printer is installed and a default printer is set in the Windows control panel before allowing the report preview/print.
- Do not display the amount earned when in manual time tracking mode when the start time or end time is invalid.
- Ensure that the window is displayed longer when the system tray icon is clicked or the Show menu item in the system tray icon popup menu is selected when the main window is hidden.
- In some rare circumstances categories could be set to 100% complete and not visible for selection when not intended.
- If automatic time recording was stopped without a direct user selection (e.g. program closed without stopping time recording, windows shutdown and so on) then the time details notes and percent complete were not being recorded.
- Resolved potential window scaling problems for some windows on computers with non-standard DPI settings.
- Always ensure that windows are initially displayed on screen in the case where display resolution or other settings cause previously visible windows to be placed off-screen.
- Resolved a rounding issue that would display the initial duration today on the main window as 00:00:01 instead of 00:00:00 if no time has been recorded.
- Program version number was not being displayed correctly in the Windows Add or Remove Programs dialog.
- Fixed the popup hint message for the user delete button.
- Set the Start In folder in desktop and quick launch bar shortcuts which fixes help, manual and video tutorials not displaying when run directly from the shortcuts.
- Resolved several minor issues when run on Windows NT.
- Modified recorded time for a particular user in the Edit Recorded Time window would incorrectly show when a different user was selected until the changes were saved.
- Removed prompt to discard changes when exiting the configure users window when the only operation performed was cancelling and add of a new user.
- Replaced the password hash algorithm to remove a potential buffer problem in the original algorithm.
- Do not display the exit warning when closing the main window if the user is logging off.
- Fixed the quick launch icon for the server installation.
- Added a display option to set whether the main tracking window slides or jumps when showing and hiding at the edge of the screen.
- Additional fix to version number interpretation to work in locales where a period ‘.’ is not the character used to separate the decimal amount in numbers, such as in Germany and Lithuania.
- If Complete Time Tracking Professional Server is installed do not use its folder as the default installation folder when installing Complete Time Tracking Professional Client.
- When selecting the Keep button in the delete utility when uninstalling don’t force the selection of a database and don’t delete the database.
- Don’t display both the personal (CTT Std) and shared (CTT Pro) databases for selection in the database delete utility on uninstall. Only display the database relevant to the CTT edition beinguninstalled.
- Allow the main Reports window to be minimized.
- Fix to version number interpretation to work in locales where a period ‘.’ is not the character used to separate the decimal amount in numbers, such as in Germany and Lithuania.
- Allow recorded time in the Edit Recorded Time window which has been modified and changed to a different start date to be deleted.
- When currently automatically recording time for a category and in category configuration the category visibility for selection is modified to be unchecked or the percent complete modified to be 100% and the “auto hide for selection when category is marked as 100% complete” option is selected then don’t override the category percent complete with the value entered in the time details in the main tracking window when the time recording is automatically stopped because the category is no longer visible for selection.
- New Multi-user Professional edition of Complete Time Tracking involving extensive changes to the program, database and online help and user manual. The original version of Complete Time Tracking is now called the Standard edition.
- User login and change password option.
- User configuration to add, modify and delete users. Users can be marked as inactive to remove them from selection but retain their recorded time.
- User security actions to specify per-user security access restrictions to application features and reports and set which users can view other users recorded time for editing or reporting.
- Six new multi-user reports and three existing detail reports can also optionally display the user.
- User selection added to the edit recorded time, edit time entry and reports windows, visible only by users with the appropriate security access.
- Category codes are now displayed in reports if the “use category codes” program option is enabled.
- The selected category is now displayed in bold on the main time tracking window.
- Renamed the New buttons to Add and the Edit buttons to Modify, uniformly in all windows.
- Modified some reports to ensure that the same formatting is used in all reports.
- Add, Add Subcategory and Modify in the category configuration window are now performed in a pop-up window so that making changes is more explicit.
- Double-clicking a category in the category configuration window will display the modify window.
- Added a Modify item to the category configuration popup menu.
- Added a popup menu in the Edit Recorded Time window with options to Add, Modify and Delete.
- Pressing the delete key when a time entry row is selected in the Edit Recorded Time window will delete the time entry.
- Changed hidden category color in category tree to match new inactive user color in user list.
- Allow several shortcut time formats in manual time entry. For example, 9/900/9.00/9:00/9am are all interpreted as 09:00.
- Smart interpretation of 12-hour short format end times to be post-midday times. For example, if the start time is 11:00 then an end time of 2 is interpreted as 2PM (14:00).
- When manual time is entered the next start time is set to the previously entered end time, the next end time is cleared, and input focus is moved to the end time to make successive time entries easy.
- Added “Last 3 Months”, “Last 6 Months”, “Last 12 Months”, “This Year” and “Last Year” quick date range selections to the Reports window.
- When the start date is changed in the Edit Time Entry window of Edit Recorded Time then end date is changed to match.
- Always display the category for recorded time in the Edit Recorded time window to avoid the confusion over it disappearing when there are no sub-categories for the selected category.
- Reduced delay before automatic hide of the main window.
- Added a delay before automatic show of the main window to avoid accidental showing.
- Added a default button on all windows, normally the OK or Close button, activated by pressing Enter.
- Improved the explanation in the database deletion utility which is automatically run on uninstall and improved its database detection.
- Updated user interface controls to Windows XP look.
- Changed the button layout in all windows to be consistent.
- Added 32-bit alpha blended and 4-bit transparent application icons.
- Only save the “start when Windows starts” option when it changes to avoid unnecessary notifications from applications which monitor startup registry entries.
- Improved category sorting in reports.
- The database restore now makes a backup copy of the current database file.
- The online help is now in HTML Help format.
- Revised the online help and user manual, updating text where appropriate, standardizing the layout and formatting in all topics, updated all screen shots.
- Added enhanced error reporting to pinpoint program errors. Detailed information about what the program was doing at the time of the error is logged and a screen-shot is automatically taken. The error report can be easily emailed.
- Enhanced database upgrade functionality with auto resume after error support and upgrade progress notification.
- The Backup and Restore menu items are now located under the Tools menu.
- Added interpretation of several database errors to present a more user-friendly error message.
- The database version is now displayed in the Help, About window.
- Fixed running of the user manual and short video tutorials when selected from the help menu.
- Remember the “show hidden categories” selection in the reports window.
- Fixed error when adding recorded time in the edit recorded time window with the percent complete set to 100.
- Removed erroneous category headers in the weekly timesheet preview/printed report which were appearing in certain conditions.
- Don’t keep the end of the current database file when restoring a backup of a smaller database file.
- Automatically uncheck the category visibility for selection if the category is set to 100% complete from within the category configuration window.
- Don’t uncheck the top-level ALL category visibility for selection if recorded time is added for the ALL category and set at 100% complete.
- Ignore modified and deleted time entries when calculating which default start time to use for a newly added time entry.
- When a network share is detected for the Windows user roaming profile the users non-roaming profile is used to store the backup instead of producing an error when connecting to the database.
- “Parent” categories are now referred to as “group” categories.
Prior Version History
Complete Time Tracking Professional was developed using Complete Time Tracking Standard v2.32 as a base. The version history for Complete Time Tracking Standard appears below.
- Removed unnecessary show and hide of the main time tracking window when selected as the active Windows application.
- Fixed the Tools, Options menu item.
- Enable the category level selection for the full details report.
- Fixed the total recorded time duration for the current day on the main time tracking window.
- Auto-hide again after Windows display settings are changed, such as the Windows taskbar auto-hide, screen resolution, or the desktop orientation is changed in a tablet PC.
- Added shortcut keys for selecting a category and changing the started time in the main tracking window.
- Renamed report “Print” button to “Report” and “View” button to “Data”, changed their order and changed the printer icon to a report icon so that the main reporting option to use is clear.
- Changed the layout of the reports window to put the start and end date side by side which is easier to read.
- Added support for systems with multiple monitors.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to activate category selection and to adjust the start time on the main time tracking window.
- Moved the Help buttons to the left of the dialogs to give clear separation from OK/Cancel/Close buttons.
- Use a more modern image in the installer.
- Added a Repair option to the uninstaller.
- Display and use the new hourly rate for recorded time if it is modified from the categories hourly rate in the Edit Recorded Time dialog.
- Added several short video tutorials to demonstrate how to perform common tasks. The video tutorials are accessible from the Help menu, start menu, and links within the online help and user manual.
- Install the PDF user manual with the program. The user manual is accessible from the Help menu, start menu, and links within the online help.
- Added more prominent support options.
- Generate a default email containing the program and Windows versions when contacting support via email.
- Don’t prompt to confirm category deletion if the category is new and has no sub-categories.
- Prompt to confirm cancel in the category configuration and edit recorded time dialogs if changes were made.
- Changed the report type selection to a tree view grouped by report type.
- Added a Help button to most dialogs to display the appropriate online help for the dialog.
- Better selection of time entries when adding, deleting or editing time in the Edit Recorded Time dialog.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to the controls on the report options dialog.
- Added popup hints to many controls. These can be disabled from the program options dialog.
- Added icons to most menu items.
- Program options are now saved when modified rather than when the program closes to avoid problems when closing due to Windows shutdown.
- Ignore deleted categories when checking for duplicate category names.
- Removed temporary display of the amount earned when exiting the options dialog.
- After a backup is restored check the database version and perform an automatic database upgrade if required.
- Set input focus to the start/stop button on show of the main tracking window to allow auto hide. If focus was on the time details notes or percent complete at the tiem of auto-hide then the window would not auto-hide after the next show unless input focus was changed.
- Fixed database restore so that database file is restored to the correct location.
- Printed reports can now display up to 5 category levels.
- Categories can now be moved in the edit category dialog by dragging and dropping.
- Added a right-click popup menu to the category tree in the edit category dialog with the options New Category, New Subcategory and Delete.
- Categories can now be deleted in the edit category dialog by pressing the Delete key.
- Added support for automated database upgrades, a required feature for this release to apply changes made to the time tracking database structure for the new multi-level category reports.
- Parent categories can now optionally be selected for time recording. This option can be enabled in the options dialog.
- Reduce the number of steps in the quick start tutorial from 10 to 5.
- Added the ability to not show the hourly rate and amount earned in dialogs and reports.
- Save report dialog selections for report type, date range and custom dates.
- Move the main window to the centre of the screen when the quick start tutorial is started.
- Time entries manually added in the edit time dialog are now displayed with other time entries in time order.
- Program errors are now logged. On closing the program the error log is displayed if any errors occurred and the user is prompted to email the error log to technical support.
- Don’t force the user to wait 5 seconds before the evaluation notice can be dismissed in trial mode.
- Added icons to menu items.
- Improved compatibility on Windows 95 and Windows 98.
- Increased the category selection speed on the main window.
- The start when Windows starts option now allows the location of the application to be changed from where it was first run.
- The installer now checks that the Winsock 2 upgrade is installed on Windows 95 computers and prompts the user to download it from the Microsoft web site.
- The “New Category” text is now selected when a new category is added by pressing the accelerator keys to allow a new name to be more easily specified.
- Adjusted main window title bar color to work better with a variety of windows appearance settings.
- Fixed a problem where changes to the category configuration would cause currently recording time to not be saved under some circumstances.
- Fixed a problem in the edit time dialog when a date is selected or a category is selected which sometimes caused unexpected behaviour or a program error.
- Improved handling of system suspend/stand-by.
- Edit category dialog now warns about categories with duplicate names instead of ignoring their changes.
- Improved hiding at the Windows taskbar so that the time tracking window always hides behind the taskbar and does not show when the mouse moves over the taskbar in front of the window.
- Resolved a problem where the main window was sometimes disabled when hiding at the Windows taskbar and the taskbar position changed and also when resuming from a suspend or hibernate.
- Resolved duplicate accelerator (alt) key assignments in the edit categories dialog.
- When the hourly rate was modified for the currently selected category it was displayed but not used in recorded time.
- Correctly save all changes in the configure categories window when multiple categories are added or modified.
- Date range on reports dialog was showing as custom when it should be This Week.
- Correctly align columns in the “view” report grid.
- Time entries manually added in the edit time dialog are now only displayed for the date they were added on and only if they are for the selected category or a subcategory of the selected category.
- The value of grand totals in reports were being doubled when printed.
- Retrieve the percent complete for a selected category from the category, not the last recorded time for it. This allows for an initial percent complete to be set for the category before anytime is recorded.
- Don’t allow the quick auto start time adjustment to be after the current time.
- Shortcut/accelerator keys now select the correct control (various dialogs).
- Fixed several problems when run with Windows display settings DPI other than 96.
- New database engine for increased performance and design flexibility and as preliminary development for a multi-user version of Complete Time Tracking.
- The previous fixed customers, projects and tasks have been replaced with a flexible hierarchical category system which can be configured to support a wider variety of uses.
- Modify and delete previously recorded time and manually add time for any date.
- New weekly timesheet report.
- New notes field for categories to record information such as customer contact details or project details.
- Several reports now include grouped sections with subtotals in the report print and totals in report view and export.
- Database backup and restore.
- Optional override of recorded time durations to allow manual rounding adjustments.
- Option to start when Windows starts (enabled by default)
- Added a Quick Start Tutorial which guides you through simple steps on how to use Complete Time Tracking.
- Added continuous automatic time recording. Time recording does not stop when a different category is selected.
- Improved the category “visibility” concept to provide more flexibility and allow quick show/hide of hidden categories.
- Added the option to automatically hide categories from selection when marked as 100% complete.
- Added yesterday and last 30 days to date range selections.
- Added a main menu to the toolbar.
- New option to retrieve the last recorded notes and percent complete when a category is selected on the main recording window.
- The start time can be adjusted when currently auto recording time.
- The first day of the week and work start time of the day can be configured. These options are used with the new weekly timesheet report and when adding the first recorded time for the day.
- Show the main time tracking window when the system tray icon is clicked.
- Added a popup menu when the system tray icon is right clicked with options to show or exit.
- Added a feedback option in the help section of the new menu.
- Prompt for feedback when closing the application if it is a beta release.
- Changed color and icons in toolbar buttons to help distinguish their purpose.
- Attempt to connect to the database up to 3 times and display an error and abort if failed.
- Display registered user in title bar.
- Don’t reset duration to zero when automatically recorded time is stopped.
- Display the duration in bold during automatic time recording.
- Increased the size of the recorded time notes from 250 to 1000 characters.
- Faster auto-hide and show of main recording window when docked to the screen edge.
- Show/hide time details when details bar clicked. Previously the min/max icon needed to be clicked.
- Report line spacing reduced to increase the number of items displayed on one page.
- Don’t auto-hide if the time details or manual time recording fields are selected.
- Provide visual feedback that manual time was added.
- Prompt to exit with instructions on how to hide the window when closed with the top right ‘x’ icon.
- Prompt to delete the time tracking database when uninstalled.
- The selected category on the time tracking window is now shown in an indented format to convey the category grouping.
- Significant changes to help file.
- Recognise Windows shutdown and stop automatic time recording.
- Clear notes and percent complete when a different category is selected and the “retrieve last recorded time details” option is not selected.
- Fix path to data storage folder.
- Close application when registration key is entered from options dialog.
- Modified product wording when entering registration key.
- Fixed tab order on report view window.
- Fixed problems with system tray icon on Windows startup.
- If printed report contains no data the duration on the empty details line was still printed.
- Fixed an occasional problem with printed reports where portions of values would be removed.
- Additional report types added.
- Minor fixes.
- Significant changes to help file.
- Track time to customers, projects and tasks.
- Automatic time recording.
- Manual time entry and editing.
- Many preset reports.
- Customized reports.
- View, print and export time summary and detail by customer, project, task and date.
- Auto-hide time entry window.
- And much more!